These experiences showcase some of Australia’s most amazing landscapes, offering astonishing wildlife encounters and, often, a chance to learn about Aboriginal culture. From spotting koalas and kangaroos in the wild in South Australia to private surf lessons on Bondi Beach, we excel in highlighting Australia’s diverse array of experiences that make the land Down Under an ideal destination for families, promising to captivate and entertain visitors of all ages.
With an aim to create unforgettable moments that cater for a younger appetite, explore from the city to the outback in our Ultimate Oz for Kids travel article.
Explore Sydney and Surrounds
With its shimmering harbour, flawless beaches, great shopping and fabulous food, Sydney is the perfect place to start your family adventure in Australia. Spoilt for choice in this iconic city, families have a myriad of experiences to enjoy and many that are sure to keep the young ones entertained:
- Take private surfing lessons on the white sands of the famed Bondi Beach with Let’s Go Surfing or take a relaxing dip in the nearby Icebergs Club Pool with stunning beach views.
- Take a private charter in a luxury yacht through Sydney Harbour with Local Eyes on their esteemed vessel, Iluka. Select from an expedition sailing around the harbours and exploring local fish markets, famous landmarks and beaches, or ride north to the beautiful northern beaches and immerse yourself in the local surfing culture. Discover secluded seaside corners and spectacular vistas whilst listening to local tales from your knowledgeable guide.
- For families seeking a little more adventure, venture west to the picturesque Blue Mountains and enjoy canyoning, abseiling, kayaking, biking and hiking through the lush rainforest alongside two-time Guiness World Record holder James Castrission. Listen to James’ incredible stories of triumph and be inspires as you traverse a landscape set to challenge you and bring you closer together.
- Explore the lush, rolling hills of the Southern Highlands with Experience Nature through immersive, hands-on and creative adventures connecting with people, place and experience. Embark on guided hikes to secluded waterfalls, jet boat charters, artisan food tours and wildlife encounters, before retiring for the evening in the surrounds of a luxurious retreat.
Dive into Australia’s Reefs
The Great Barrier Reef is one of the world’s most incredible natural wonders and celebrated playground for snorkelers, scuba divers and marine enthusiasts. There’s so much for families to enjoy on the reef:
- Explore the wonders of Lizard* or Orpheus Island and embark on guided tours through white sands, grassland and the nearby coves and secret beaches, finding the perfect spot to relax. Or head out onto the water to enjoy a day of fishing, snorkelling and sailing.
- Visit Haggerstone Island for a Swiss Family Robinson style adventure – stay in luxe thatched huts at night and explore the surrounding coral reefs, fish off the coast, dive and sail through azure waters by day.
- On the other side of the continent, Sal Salis Safari Camp offers an ideal base to explore Ningaloo Reef, the home of the elusive Whale Shark. Swim, kayak, snorkel or watch from the shore as these incredible animals pass beneath you.
*Please note that visitors to Lizard Island need to be 10 years and older.
Wonder at the Wildlife
Home to some of the world’s most diverse and unique wildlife, visitors of all ages to Australia enjoy getting up close and personal with some furry Australian icons. Fortunately, the wildlife isn’t short of supply no matter where you go in the country, though these are a few of our favourites:
- Spot penguins, wallabies, monitors, eagles, koalas, echidnas and kangaroos on South Australia’s Kangaroo Island and swim with dolphins alongside the guides from Exceptional Kangaroo Island or explore the Eyre Peninsula where families can enjoy the incredible opportunity to come face to face with koalas at a location where they sit in the trees at eye level, plus experience one of the only places in the world where you can swim with sea lions in their natural habitat.
- Embark on a conservation experience with the famed Tasmanian Devils at Saffire Freycinet, learning how you can contribute to the survival of this Aussie icon and get up close and personal with these remarkable creatures. Hike deep into Cradle Mountain and Freycinet National Park with Pepper Bush Tours where you can spot wallabies and wombats or take part in their Quokka Patrol. The island also offers two small group walking tours with Tasmania Walking Co. through the picturesque landscapes of Maria Island and the Bay of Fires, both ideal for younger hikers.
Explore the Outback
Ochre sands, rocky escarpments and the majestic monoliths speak to the quintessential Australian outback experience. But just as iconic is the remote and rugged wilderness of the Kimberley, the endless savannah woodlands of the Kakadu National Park and the teeming waterways of Arnhem Land. Each full of a myriad of unique experiences that families of all ages can enjoy:
- A wildlife safari through lily-covered billabongs and waterways alive with birds, crocodiles and barramundi with Davidson’s Arnhemland Safaris. Witness ancient rock shelters with incredible rock art that spans thousands of years, giving you an insight into the Culture of the region’s First Nations People.
- Camp out under the stars and hear ancient tales from First Nation People inspired by the land, seasons and heavens above with Venture North. Spend time fishing in local waterholes and touring the remote and rugged landscape of the Top End, while connecting with the Indigenous history and Culture from the land you’re exploring.
- Journey to where the outback meets the river in South Australia at The Frames where your guides will take you through the maze of rivers and creeks that make up Australia’s longest waterway. Spot an array of bird and wildlife from the comfort of a purpose-built airboat whilst snacking on locally farmed produce.
- Venture into South Australia’s Flinders Ranges and uncover fossils from Nilpena Pound alongside locals from The Prairie Hotel. Explore the surrounding plains in search of emus, kangaroos, parrots and the endangered yellow-footed rock-wallaby.
- Escape to a lakeside retreat under the shadow of the majestic Mount Mulligan, a luxury lodge that bears the mark of the historic gold and coal rush and pastoral history of Australia. Enjoy stargazing, barramundi fishing, private chef picnics and exploring the 28,000 hectares of working cattle station by ATV.
At The Tailor, our focus remains in crafting journeys that resonate with the discerning traveller, creating memories that will be cherished through generations. Wildlife encounters inspire wonder and the need for conservation, the outback resonates with the pulse of ancient traditions, and the waves narrate stories of timeless tranquillity. Every element, every encounter, is meticulously curated to foster a deeper connection, both with nature and among families. Our handpicked adventures cater not just to the whims of the seasoned traveller, but resonate with the curious hearts of young explorers, enriching their world view and quenching their thirst for the extraordinary.